Because in LA LA land...people tend to tell you what they think you WANT to hear...I'm here to change and question that.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

15 Minutes of Fame

As an actor, it becomes frustrating to see someone with no real acting chops "make it". Everyone is looking for the guy who can hum "The Star Spangled Banner" through their nose, or eat a hot dog in one bite. (An actual casting notice today). People seem to want to watch a cat cough up a fur ball, rather than watch our kid show Ready Time Pals on you tube. Let's see...mundane VS educational fun...hmmm...but I'm getting off to another topic so...

So as actors, we muddle along, hoping for our big break and somewhere along the way we encounter an opportunity to become infamous rather than famous. It seems those people get more acting roles and opportunities than me so why not? Right? Well, personally for me, I could never do it. We were offered to do the Nanny many years ago, but I couldn't imagine showing my kids off in a not so great a light...or my husband and I for that matter. We were also just recently selected to another type of show like this where we'd be shown as our family-in a probably wacky way and again, I turned it down. I know I have talent and so do my kids and I guess I have morals and better judgment? Still, the times where I see these other folks who chose that path and "make it", I get a little irritated.

At the end of the day I know I'm true to myself and what I believe in. I'm also still holding out hope that I can bring a little laughter to the world when I book that animation series regular role, or on camera sit-com; or even entertain the masses with a great meaty theatrical part. Here's to the other actors like me who want TV and film to go back to the glory days when no one WANTED to watch Johnny eat a gold fish while humming a tune upside down hanging from a tree. People enjoyed good ol fashioned story telling...I'm hoping someday soon we'll go back to those days.

Until then, I'm going to keep on supporting the good valued shows that are still out there and pay less attention to those reality shows that do little but make humans look silly. Will you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment